A settlement scheme has been agreed with the Ministry of Justice to provide compensation to survivors of physical abuse suffered by staff members at Medomsley Detention Centre.
The scheme will operate outside of the Civil Courts with a tariff of compensation awards dependent on the length of the period of detention. There is also a provision in the scheme to compensate for a lasting physical and/or psychological injury.
To be eligible for the scheme:
- You must have suffered physical abuse committed by a member of staff who was employed at Medomsley during the period you were detained and who has received a criminal conviction in respect of such offences.
To date, the members of staff who have received a criminal conviction are:
- Christopher Onslow “Machine / Mean Machine”
- John McGee “Big John / Pigeon Man”
- Brian Greenwell “Puppet”
- Kevin Blakely “Broken Nose”
- Alan Bramley “Bong Eye”
- You must have independent evidence of your period of detention e.g confirmation of your detention within your criminal record.
Here at Ben Hoare Bell LLP we are instructed by over 400 former inmates of Medomsley Detention Centre in relation to compensation claims. We have already settled a significant number of claims arising from abuse suffered by our clients.
If you believe you fall within the current scheme and are interested in pursuing a claim please do not hesitate to contact one of our specialist solicitors Andrew Freckleton or Richard Hardy on 0191 565 3112 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss whether you are entitled to compensation for the abuse suffered.