We are currently looking for a Paralegal to join our Criminal Law department.
To apply please send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com or to Rachel Floyd at 47 John Street, Sunderland, SR1 1QU.
Applications close at 5pm on Thursday 21 December 2017.
Ben Hoare Bell LLP is a well-established Legal Practice operating from 4 sites in the cities of Sunderland, Gateshead and Newcastle. The practice has 8 Partners.
The Practice has a strong ethical base and wishes to remain committed to operating within the publicly funded area of legal work, offering a high quality service to people regardless of means.
The Practice has grown considerably in recent years and despite the changes in legal aid funding is planning to expand further.
Key Result Areas
- Work with clients
To attend clients and witnesses, to take instructions from them, to draft statements and to advise on points of procedure and basic points of law.
You will be working on your own and in conjunction with other members of the department in preparing cases primarily for the Crown Court as well as the Magistrates Court.
Such work will include briefing counsel, preparing legal documentation such as defence statements and character and hearsay documentation, making enquiries on behalf of clients and interviewing witnesses.
- Work with other agencies
To liaise in the furtherance of the client’s case.
- Court work and case conferences
You will be required to attend the Crown Court as appropriate and at conferences with counsel and clients in chambers and elsewhere.
To undertake administrative tasks relating to the work with clients.
To be involved where appropriate with the billing of files.
This job description is not intended to be a complete and detailed statement of the responsibilities of the post.
The post will be reviewed on an annual basis. The post holder will be invited to contribute to this review.
- Good communication, written and oral
- Computer literate (experience with Microsoft and legal software is desirable). Ability to word process own documents
- Ability to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to work as a team member
- Good interpersonal skills
- Qualification related to Law (desirable)
- Current full driving licence (desirable)
- Holder of a Police Station Representation Accreditation (desirable)
- Evidence of literacy and numeracy skills
- Knowledge of the criminal justice system
- Experience of legal aid work
- Experience of administrative work
- Experience of criminal defence work
- Sympathy with the ethical principles of the firm