We are currently looking for an experienced Costs Draftsperson to join our team.
Salary will be commensurate with experience. The position is likely to start after 1 May 2018.
To apply please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com or 47 John Street, Sunderland, SR1 1QU.
Presently based at: One of our 4 offices based in Newcastle upon Tyne, Sunderland or Gateshead
Supervised by: Adrian Dalton, Partner
Ben Hoare Bell LLP is a well-established Legal Practice operating from 4 sites in the North East. The Practice currently has approximately 75 members of staff including 8 Partners.
Ben Hoare Bell LLP has a strong ethical base and seeks to offer a high quality service to people regardless of their financial resources. The firm holds several Legal Aid contracts across all offices.
The firm consists of the following legal areas:
- Personal Injury
- Police Misconduct and Claims against Authorities
- Clinical and Dental Negligence
- Mental Health and Court of Protection
- Powers of Attorney
Overall much of the Firm’s work is conducted under Legal Aid funding. Some departments offer CFA agreements. Private paying arrangements are also available.
Key Result Areas:
- To produce and submit bills of costs for court and Legal Aid Agency assessment and payment. This is to include Conditional Fee Agreements; General Party and Party; Civil Public Funding Certificates; Civil Legal Helps; Crime Legal Aid Investigations; Crime Legal Aid Proceedings; High Cost Case Plans for publicly funded and other work.
- To provide billing guidance and advice to departments and colleagues within the firm.
- To work with and supervise colleagues who are actively involved with the billing process.
- To be able to liaise with other agencies and organisations when necessary.
- To carry out when required administrative tasks including the processing of documents.
- To keep fully up to date with legislation and developments in the area of legal costs.
This job description is not intended to be a complete and detailed statement of the responsibilities of the Post.
The Post will be reviewed on an annual basis. The Post Holder will be invited to contribute to this review.
- Excellent communication both written and oral.
- Excellent numeracy skills.
- Computer literate. Experience with Microsoft Office and legal software. Ability to word process own documents.
- Ability to prioritise and work to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- Qualified Costs Draftsperson.
- Member of the Association of Costs Lawyers (ACL) (desirable).
- Good academic grades.
- Experience of drafting legal bills (essential).
- Experience of Legal Aid billing (essential).
- Experience of Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence billing (essential).
- Experience of working with people from a range of backgrounds.