Earlier this month we reported that three former prison officers of Medomsley Detention Centre were jailed after being found guilty of physically abusing inmates (link). The former officers were:
- Christopher Onslow: guilty of five counts of physical abuse and two counts of misconduct in a public office. Received an eight and a half year prison sentence.
- John McGee: guilty of one count of misconduct in public office. Received a two year and ten month prison sentence.
- Kevin Blakely: guilty of two counts of misconduct in a public office. Received a two year and nine month prison sentence.
Today at Teesside Crown Court two more former prison officers have been jailed:
- Brian Greenwell: guilty of one count of misconduct in a public office. Received a two year and six month prison sentence.
- Alan Bramley: guilty of one count of misconduct in a public office. Received an 18 month prison sentence.
At the hearing today John McGee’s sentence was reduced to two years and eight months based on an earlier incorrect calculation.
This brings the combined jail time for the convicted men to 17 years and 11 months. We understand that the police and CPS may bring charges against more former staff members.
Ben Hoare Bell Consultant Jonny Hall attended the sentencing hearing today and was interviewed outside Court by Tyne Tees News.
Over 1600 people have now come forward to report abuse at Medomsley Detention Centre. Ben Hoare Bell LLP represents a large number of former inmates in respect of compensation claims to both the Ministry of Justice and the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority arising from the abuse suffered.
If you are a former inmate of Medomsley Detention Centre our initial advice is to:
- Contact Durham Constabulary as soon as possible on 0191 3752381 or via email at email@example.com to make a criminal complaint and cooperate fully with the ongoing investigation. The ongoing investigation, Operation Seabrook, was launched in August 2013 and so far, more than 1,620 former detainees have contacted Operation Seabrook to report allegations of abuse whilst detained at Medomsley Detention Centre.
- Contact one of our specialist solicitors Andrew Freckleton or Richard Hardy on 0191 565 3112 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss whether you are entitled to compensation for the abuse suffered.
Blog by Andrew Freckleton, Partner