Medical Negligence

Medical Negligence FAQs

CN Law Society

Our medical negligence department represents victims of a medical accident or medical error otherwise known as clinical negligence. This occurs when you have sustained an injury or illness as a result of a medical error or mistake, which includes treatment in a hospital, by doctors, nurses and any other medical professionals.

Our solicitors have obtained substantial sums of compensation in a wide variety of cases, including:

  • Cerebral palsy as a result of birth injury
  • Other birth injuries
  • Orthopaedic delays and surgery
  • Cancer diagnosis and treatment delays
  • Neurosurgery
  • General surgery
  • Ear Nose and Throat (ENT)
  • GP medical negligence
  • Gynaecology
  • Paediatric care
  • Nursing care
  • Plastic surgery
  • Psychiatry
  • Radiology
  • Misprescription
  • Pharmacy Claims
  • Opthalmic/Opticians
  • Medical device failure claims including hip implants
  • Dental care

We can assist with complaints in addition to advising on and pursuing medical negligence claims through the court system. We also represent bereaved families at Inquests into deaths occurring in a medical setting that may be caused by medical negligence.

Heading up our team are Andrew Kelly and Peter Henry who both have a wealth of experience and are both accredited by the Law Society to provide this specialised service and are recommended in UK Legal Services directories for medical negligence representation. They pride themselves on delivering a professional, supportive and friendly service.

We receive much of our work from personal recommendations due to our established reputation in the field of medical negligence claims.

We have access to all funding arrangements including Legal Aid and No Win No Fee amongst others.

Please contact our Medical Negligence team on 0191 516 3112 to discuss your case in more detail on a no obligation basis.

We cover all of the North East region and can offer appointments at our Newcastle, Gateshead, Middlesbrough and Sunderland offices.

In addition we can arrange home or hospital visits in Tyne and Wear and throughout the region. We cover Northumberland in addition to Teesside including Middlesbrough, Stockton on Tees, Billingham and Hartlepool. County Durham including Darlington, Durham and Bishop Auckland and also North Yorkshire including Northallerton, Stokesley, Thirsk and Richmond.

Recent Related Blogs:


We understand that some people do not strive for compensation but are in fact driven by the need to tell their side of the story. In making a complain you ensure that your situation is formally recognised and try to prevent the same thing happening to someone else in the future.

Making a complaint is the more suitable route if you are seeking an apology or acknowledgement of the negligence. If you want to pursue a compensatory award you would need to commence legal proceedings and make a claim.

To make an effective complaint you should seek legal advice. As specialists we can compile a professional and thorough report that will ensure your complaint is worthwhile. We will also be available to advise you on any further steps you wish to take when we receive a response.


When making a claim it is important to understand that the only possible result is compensation. The court cannot ask for an apology, it cannot order a change in procedure and it cannot authorise disciplinary proceedings. If these are your objectives making a complaint might be more suitable for you.

If your case is successful you might be awarded compensation in different forms:

  1. An award for pain and suffering that you have experienced as a result of the negligence.
  2. An award for loss of earnings could be made if you have not been able to receive an income as a result of the negligence. In serious cases this could include loss of future earnings.
  3. Other expenses might also be covered if deemed necessary for your recovery. This could include specific medical treatment, property adaptation costs and care costs.

Most people want to know the compensation they will be awarded and as a result of this many firms offer ambiguous suggestions. Each case is different. To find out more about the compensation you might be entitled to, it is best to speak to a qualified solicitor who can look at your specific circumstances.