Historic Child Abuse
Following recent well documented cases historic abuse is becoming more prevalent through the media. Often this is when an adult suffered abuse when they were a child. The abuse could be physical, sexual or both and often occurs in ‘safe’ places such as in a family or friend’s house, youth offending institutes, children’s homes, hospitals etc.
For many years the subject of child abuse was taboo and only in recent years have people felt they were able to speak out about the abuse they suffered.
We have a dedicated team of experienced Solicitors advising on historic child abuse. Even though there are strict time limits you may be entitled to bring a claim. Your claim may lead to an award of compensation from the individual or organisations such as the Ministry of Justice or the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority (CICA).
We currently act on behalf of people who were detained in Medomsley Detention Centre between the 1960s and 1980s. There is an ongoing criminal investigation by Durham Constabulary and we act for more than 300 people. We can also help if you have been abused in another detention centre or children’s home.
If you suffered abuse as a child please get in touch with us as soon as you can.
Please contact our Historic Child Abuse Team on 0191 565 3112 to discuss your case in more detail on a no obligation basis.
We offer appointments at our Newcastle, Gateshead and Sunderland offices.
Recent Related Blogs:
- Former Newcastle United coach charged with historic sex offences
- Former Choir Master sentenced to 21 years for child sex abuse
- Heir to Greggs Bakery jailed for sexual offences against boys
- Independent inquiry into child sexual abuse
- Legal Eagle: Can anything be done about old allegations of sexual abuse?
- Fighting Back on Assault
- Former Police Constable found guilty of Indecent Assault against boys
- Medomsley Detention Centre Update
- Update: Kirklevington Detention Centre Abuse Investigation
- Stanley Simpson Abuse Claims